Office Hours | M-F: 10:00 AM – 3:00 PM CST

Sponsors & Partners

Beginnings of the Coleman Center

A dream of Dorothy “Tut” Altman Riddick became reality in 1982 when the J.A. Coleman Estate made a gift to the City of York of a former general store building dating from 1905 (last used as a tire re-capping plant) and other property to the City of York to house the City Library, a museum focusing primarily on contemporary art and crafts by Alabama artists, and space for art and craft workshops and other community activities. In 1985, in a completely renovated facility, the Coleman Center for the Arts opened with a show of contemporary arts and crafts from the collection of Tut and Harry Riddick.

Early Community Contributions

J. A. Coleman Estate
Gift of the building and other property.
Family of Beulah Mae Grant
Donation to renovate the craft area.
Hightower Family
Donation to renovate the library area.
Various Community Members
Donation of bookcases (library stacks).
Tut and Harry Riddick
Paid the appraisal fee and donated funds for architect fees.
Jud Arrington
Donated and maintained genealogy records.
Family of R. Barksdale Lynch
Donated furnishings for the conference room.
DeLaine Family of African-American Brick Masons
Constructed the patio and donated building materials.
Charles Munoz
Donated his services to repoint the exterior brick.
State Representative Lucious Black, Sr.
Helped secure tax funds generated by the Waste Tax.

Don’t miss the event! Look at the Calender for the upcoming exhibitions.

  © 2025. All Rights Reserved Privacy Policy / Terms of Use